Pages

Wednesday, 8 January 2014

provocative music magazine drafts-research and planning




here are my many drafts for my Provocative Pop magazine, 3 possible contents pages and 2 main feature pages
tThis being my very first draft i felt gave a strong first draft.  After asking a few people they all felt the cover needed to be more music based.
i attempted to add a picture of a broken record to the background of the cover.  I felt the broken record would imply the provocative nature of the magazine and also how the magazine isn't afraid to break the classic and tried and tested typical magazine conventions.  Although I feel in reflection the record blends in too easily with the background and looks like an addition rather than woven into the magazine.
I tried to add album and singles covers to the magazine, I felt this draft looked as if the album covers were a second thought and didn't really fit in with the rest of the cover.  Although I believe it still had potential, with the hand looking as if it had thrown the album covers in the faces off the reader also implying the outrageous and 'in your face' nature of the magazine.
changing the album cover to records I believe implied the retro nature of the magazine but also implying the magazine will become a classic.  After asking a few peoples opinions they founds the records looked like an after thought and the structure of the cover to mainstream and rigid for the target audience.  I then decided instead of attempting to create another version, it would be a greater improvement to start a new magazine cover..
I started to create another magazine so had another photo shoot, I decided to use this particular image as it looks as if the artist 'Up and Coming is trying to escape form the magazine.  Although after asking a few people opinions they again seemed to find it difficult to relate the look of the magazine to music.
I then tried to add a graphic equalizer to the background hoping this would help the magazine relate back to music.  Looking back at this cover I believe it looks a little unprofessional and the blurred image lets it down.  Although i feel the unique colour scheme works well. 
here is my original evaluation of this cover:
I feel the front cover has really turned out well.  I believe the red and turquoise contrast well together and they are also a colour combination that is rarely used and brings a unique look to the cover.  I believe the photo works well as it appears the artist is trying to escape from the magazine.  Also with the artist looking out it gives that all important direct address to the buyer. I believe the costume used also works well as it stands out against the rest of the magazine and jumps off the page.  If I have had more time I would have taken another image to get a sharper picture.
I feel having a graphic equalizer in the background relates the magazine to music if this was not already noticed.  I also feel it symbolizes the age bracket for the magazine as the younger generation don't care how the music feels or sounds.
I decided naming the magazine ProVocative as I feel provocative pop isn't represented well and this is the type of music the magazine will be focusing on.  I also feel the name of provocative is itself very provocative as it gets the readers wondering why it is called this and how controversial it is.  I decided to give the title a larger v as I have taken inspiration from v magazine.  I also feel this is the key letter in the word.  I have also tried to use the rule of three using the larger V in the title to act as a triangle to attract and focus the reader on the tittle of the magazine

I have decided to use the slogan of 'Dilated, X-rated pageant princess putrid rainbows' as I have feel it sums up the type of issues and music covered in the magazine.  My slogan is also a section of lyrics taken from a very provocative pop star named Natalia Kills (that can be found on my music magazine inspirations).  The particular lyrics are taken from her song named 'Controversy' this song tries to sum up our modern day and all its downfalls
I believe having my puffs in the shape of extremely spiky stars gives the cover a rough and jagged edge,  I also feel it reminiscent of dog collars.  with their spiky effect I believe it draws the eye to them and with their snappy captions it gives the reader all the information they require at a quick glance


I feel the fonts used are very informal and rough and ready.  This was the style I wished to achieve as I believe it sums up the whole style of the magazine and gives the feeling of not caring about what others think.  I also believe 'who's the joker' brings a little humor to cover but yet a serious and questioning undertone as if he is causing a stir in the music world
I again decided to create another version of the cover, this time using key items like the tape deck to instantly relate the magazine back to music. I believe placing the optical illusion in the background helps draw attention to the cover.  After asking peoples opinions they believe more colour could be used and different fonts to create a more interesting cover.  
using more fonts and a range of contrasting colours created a more interesting magazine, but the red writing on the left became increasingly difficult to see and read, although the bright yellow and crazy font choice did work well and stood out.  also the tag line at the top of the cover stands out better and helps to sum up the magazine.
Placing a shadow behind the title helped the writing to stand out and the colors and fonts helped to create an interesting and exiting magazine.  Changing the position of the bar code gave me more room on the cover but also allowed me to place the image in the center of the cover.  although the red writing on the left still seemed to hard to read.
changing the background colour to black helped the red writing to stand out, although this choice of colour helped the image of 'Up and Coming' to blend into the background.  I also placed a quote from the inside spread on the front cover to entice potential customers to buy a copy of the magazine.
With the use of the purple colour as a background lets all the writing stand out but also helps the image jump out of the cover.  although with the two toned writing it gives the impression the puffs are not related to the same story.
I have decided this will now be my final cover





here is my very first draft of the contents page.  Very formal and bland I believed it didn't fit in with the feeling of the magazine and wasn't 'ProVocative' enough.  although i felt the cut out images were of potential and I liked the style, real magazine often use this layout.
this contents page was inspired by V magazine and their edition with Kanye West.  V magazine simply had a large image of Kanye West's face and small writing around the outside to act as the contents.  Although I liked the style many felt the blurred image let the page down, so I tried again.
here is my original elvauation:
I feel using the graphic equalizer in the background again helps to connect the contents to the front cover along with the colour scheme.  I feel the one picture helps the reader to focus on the information given , but I also feel the picture adds energy to the page with the dramatic pose.

I believe using the spiky stars to place the text onto links to the front cover but also gives the impression of fireworks.  I feel the small headlines above them add a certain formality needed to give order.  It also helps the reader to understand the contents of the issue without having to read the whole page.

I believe overall the colour scheme works well.  I believe the contrast between red and turquoise to work well and is rather an unusual choice.  Although the titles may blend in with the equalizer I feel using just a slightly different red helps them to stand out enough but also makes the reader focus as if they simply glance over the contents they will miss them.  I feel this will help the reader to appreciate the work that has gone into the page and will appreciate it more.

looking back this style looks a little messy and unprofessional.


Looking at this contents page I find it slightly messy and random, I feel this look would put people off from buying the magazine.

Looking back the red colour is very difficult to read and the yellow as a background to the subtitles clashes too much.

this is my finished contents




Taking inspiration form my first contents page I have cutout many different images and placed them onto the top half of the feature page.  I really like this style and felt it only needed a little tweaking to sharpen the look.  Looking at the interview I believe this doesn't fit in with the style of magazine, and would not appeal to the target audience.  A Q-and-A would more than likely feature in a magazine for reader under 12 (like Top of the pops magazine) 
As feel this is my strongest page and has helped give me inspiration for the rest of the magazine.  With only a small amount of tweaking I believe it will fit in with my newly designed front cover and contents page.
here is my original evaluation:
I decided to use multiple photos as many magazines use this style to create one large statement picture.  I believe adding the optical illusions as a background draws the eye to the pictures I also feel it links in with the outfit of' 'Up AND Coming' it also draws the eyes to the center of the page.  I believe grouping the images and having two odd pictures in between helps to break up the top so its not one complete picture, I also like how the two end images are almost reflections and the two middle images are also nearly reflections as I feel this adds to the optical illusion.  I like the image in the middle of the page as I believe it is powerful and also has a strong direct address.

The use of the graphic equalizer links this page to the rest of the magazine, I feel the waves above the back ground create a luxurious feel like its marble, it also helps the text to stand out.  I believe the language used and style creates a rather grown up interview and not simply a Q and A.  I also feel the formal layout is practical as readers will simply give up if its too difficult to read.
This is my finished feature page.


No comments:

Post a Comment