Here is my ProVocative music magazine front cover, contents and main feature,
Reading my brief, to my happiness i was asked to create a music magazine. With a lot more freedom than the previous preliminary task (school magazine) I felt I could be more creative and really get my teeth in to it.
I believe the future of music will become more provocative I believe this magazine will grow and become more mainstream.
Many music lovers now believe pop music is simply made to create more money. I believe my magazine to catch these music snobs. I hope the magazine will also catch the eyes of genuine music lovers and help to open them to new artists. My demographic is music lovers between the age range of 16-30.
Social groups
I don't believe my magazine represents particular social groups, this magazine is for the enjoyment of everyone. Those who enjoy dark controversial pop will also enjoy the magazine. Some teenagers and adults feel pressured into disliking pop music, this magazine is here to enlighten their world to a new sophisticated world of pop without the need to feel embarrassed or demeaned.
Forms and Conventions
Interestingly my magazine tries to challenge the general forms and conventions of real media. Although I feel it conforms slightly to insure it will sell copies, with the unusual colour scheme and daring pictures it stands out against the ordinary and the bland. Compared to other music magazines around it will stand out against them all but with enough main stream conventions (enticing Puffs and celebrity interviews) to be able to sell copies and continue to create new issues.
Here is my front cover

Reading my brief, to my happiness i was asked to create a music magazine. With a lot more freedom than the previous preliminary task (school magazine) I felt I could be more creative and really get my teeth in to it.
I believe the future of music will become more provocative I believe this magazine will grow and become more mainstream.
Many music lovers now believe pop music is simply made to create more money. I believe my magazine to catch these music snobs. I hope the magazine will also catch the eyes of genuine music lovers and help to open them to new artists. My demographic is music lovers between the age range of 16-30.
Social groups
I don't believe my magazine represents particular social groups, this magazine is for the enjoyment of everyone. Those who enjoy dark controversial pop will also enjoy the magazine. Some teenagers and adults feel pressured into disliking pop music, this magazine is here to enlighten their world to a new sophisticated world of pop without the need to feel embarrassed or demeaned.
Forms and Conventions
Interestingly my magazine tries to challenge the general forms and conventions of real media. Although I feel it conforms slightly to insure it will sell copies, with the unusual colour scheme and daring pictures it stands out against the ordinary and the bland. Compared to other music magazines around it will stand out against them all but with enough main stream conventions (enticing Puffs and celebrity interviews) to be able to sell copies and continue to create new issues.
Here is my front cover

Name and Masthead
With the title of ProVocative it sums the aim and feel of the magazine up. I believe the use of one simple word helps the title of the magazine to become memorable, the use of a complex adjective helps an older and more educated audience relate to the issue. Using the word 'Provocative' like the meaning helps to provoke and incite possible purchaser into buying the magazine. With an unusual choice of font for the masthead it helps again for the magazine to stand out against the likes of V and Q magazine. The choice of the colour white gives a simple yet stylish look, the use of the shadow helps the masthead to 'pop' out of the magazine and ensures it doesn't blend into the background. The colour choice also mimics those of the image of 'Up and coming'. The white also stands out against the purple background
Background
I have chosen to add an optical illusion in the background of the magazine cover, this helps draw the eye to the cover and the image. Although patterned backgrounds can sometimes distract from the writing and making viability difficult, I believe with the use of the colour purple I have overcome this difficulty. The contrast between the purple background and the red, yellow and white writing help them to stand out and become readable. The use of the optical illusion ties in the rest of the magazine and creates synergy. The choice of optical illusion also gives the impression the image 'Up and coming' has entered from it and adds movement to the cover.
With the title of ProVocative it sums the aim and feel of the magazine up. I believe the use of one simple word helps the title of the magazine to become memorable, the use of a complex adjective helps an older and more educated audience relate to the issue. Using the word 'Provocative' like the meaning helps to provoke and incite possible purchaser into buying the magazine. With an unusual choice of font for the masthead it helps again for the magazine to stand out against the likes of V and Q magazine. The choice of the colour white gives a simple yet stylish look, the use of the shadow helps the masthead to 'pop' out of the magazine and ensures it doesn't blend into the background. The colour choice also mimics those of the image of 'Up and coming'. The white also stands out against the purple background
Background
I have chosen to add an optical illusion in the background of the magazine cover, this helps draw the eye to the cover and the image. Although patterned backgrounds can sometimes distract from the writing and making viability difficult, I believe with the use of the colour purple I have overcome this difficulty. The contrast between the purple background and the red, yellow and white writing help them to stand out and become readable. The use of the optical illusion ties in the rest of the magazine and creates synergy. The choice of optical illusion also gives the impression the image 'Up and coming' has entered from it and adds movement to the cover.
Copy and Tagline
The choice of fonts on the front cover bring variety and creates an interesting and exiting cover. With the copy on the left side using just two fonts creates and interesting pattern, the contrast between the formal and rigid font compared with the smooth and flowing font helps to create an interesting cover. I have also tried to place the writing to match the sides of the image, ensuring the copy doesn't overlap. With the weird and whacky font for 'Up and coming' it mirrors the weird and whacky costume of 'Up and coming', the font also helps to create movement, placed on top of the tape deck helps to draw attention to it and helps symbolize this is a music magazine. All the colours used contrast against the purple background and help them to stand out, the colours also represent different stories and also key words. The use of language also helps to attract possible buyers, the use of the quote from the interview helps draw and tantalize possible buyers to purchase the magazine. The use of the provocative quote teases the audience, only really finding out the details if the buy the magazine, resulting in more revenue from sales. The use of the tagline sums up the magazine in three simple words, the use of the alliteration helps to create a memorable saying and describes to possible buyers the type of acts featured will be like. The use of the font is reminiscent of the old 'ProVocative' front cover drafts, it also creates an unusual looking tag line. The use of the background helps the tag line to stand out against the rest of the cover and other copy.
Image
The use of the image helps the audience to understand who the main focus of this issues is about. Taking up the majority of the front cover implies the image is of major importance to the issue. The striking clothing helps to draw the eye to the magazine. The harlequin style also mirrors the optical illusions and the black and white colour scheme contrasts against the purple background. the use of the direct address with the hand and the eye contact helps to address possible buyers and readers and also jump off the shelf in a supermarket against the competition. The use of the hand gesture gives a threatening tone to the picture. The hat worn helps to frame the face of the artist but also helps to create a triangle, therefore drawing the eye to the face of the artist. The use of the tape deck also helps to reassure possible buyers it is in fact a music magazine. After looking back at my other drafts I feel an item like a tape deck was needed to connect the magazine front cover to music. Positioning the tape deck centre of the cover implies the music is the main focus of the magazine. The tape deck also helps to incorporate the retro nature of the artist, as described in the copy. I have taken inspiration from V magazine and have tried to have a larger image and smaller fonts, this creates a statement looks and also lets the front cover benefit from the interesting photos taken.
Bar code
With all magazines covers they need a bar code so they can be scanned and bought in all retail outlets. I have placed the bar code on its side as it gives me more space to use on my front cover and placing a bar code on it side camouflages it slightly and also gives a more expensive look.
Here is my contents page
I have tried to use the same colour scheme here as in my front cover to create synergy and to connect the two together.
Image
I have decided to cut half of the main image's background out but leave half of the original background, I like the contrast between the green, fresh grass next to the purple background. I also like how the tape deck juts out into the purple background. The contrast in colours helps the image to stand out and also acts as a 'plaster' to hide the join between the purple and grass background. With a side profile of the singer it gives variety and helps to show the singer in a different position. With the same clothing and tape deck it creates synergy with the other image on the front cover. The other two images relate to other stories in the magazine, these images are supposed to be of popular singers, I decided there would be no need of a description as they would already be well known.
Background
Again with an optical illusion and purple colour it links the contents to the front cover. I have also placed the tape deck used in the front cover as a second background to relate this page and picture to the front cover but to also make it easier for the audience to read the writing.
Title and Copy
The large title is very eye catching, with the black shadow it jumps of the page. . Using the same font as the mast head on the front cove again brings synergy and allows the reader to understand this is a title. I have used the same colours as on the front cover, using the yellow to highlight page numbers, and using white as the copy and the red to highlight celebrities. Using a plain and formal font for the page numbers gives the needed formality, the yellow colour helps to highlight the number. Using the white colour for the majority of the copy allows the reader to easily read and understand it, with the harsh font it again allows the reader to easily read and understand it and also matches the copy used on the front cover creating synergy. I also believe the font gives a rather expensive and professional look. The use of the red colour matched with the font helps to draw the eye, I believe highlighting main points of interest. This helps possible buyers to decide whether the magazine appeals to them and the celebrities mentioned interests them. Using the same font as the mast heads and titles I believe gives the mentioned copy importance and also creates synergy between the contents and the front cover. The use of language in the copy is also notable, teasing the audience with rhetorical questions like 'Have you seen Madonnas new selfie?' entices the audience to but a copy. Simply writing a small sentence briefly summing up the stories included in the magazine entice the reader to but a copy, using key words like celebrities names again entices possible audiences to buy a copy. With a larger paragraph summing up the main feature allows the audience to understand this is the main focus of the magazine for this particular issue. With the two subsections (house and feature) it allows readers to easily see the features of the magazine and gives a needed order to the page. Looking at other music magazines this is what they usually do to separate their contents pages up. Using the same background as the tag line on the front cover bring synergy between the two pages. I have decided to name my regulars section 'House', I feel this sums up the section (house style) but also gives a little luxury to the contents. Many expensive brands now begin their name with 'house' (house of Holland) thus adding a luxury status and sound. I also wish anyone reading ProVocative magazine to be in the 'house of ProVocative', acting as a fan base I believe it will unite the readers and turn ProVocative into an exclusive club for real fans of real music.
Here is my main feature page with interview
Background
Using two different backgrounds symbolize the two different parts of the feature, the image and the interview. For the section dedicated to the image I have placed another optical illusion, this again bring synergy and helps connect the main feature to the front cover and the contents. The style of the illusion helps draw the eye to the image and also centre the audiences view and then allows them like a good painting to slowly widen the view and appreciate the page. The black and white colour also mirrors the colours of the costumes worn by 'Up and coming'. The second background is the same tape deck used in the front cover, this again brings synergy between the main feature and the front cover. The tape deck helps to bring a retro feel to the page and also confirms to the reader this is a music magazine. The colour overlay allows the writing to stand out and also matches with the front cover and the contents.
Image
For the image I cut out several different images and arranged them in a appealing and eye catching style. I have chosen photos from two different photo shoots, this brings variety to the page but also implies a feeling of a split personality of the artist. The makeup used shocks the audience and also draws the eye to the page. I particularly like the arrangement of the photos, at first glance it looks like a complete reflection but at second glance you can see the pictures are slightly different, this brings variety and intrigues the audience. With almost every image there is a direct address to attract the audience. With the centre three images there is also a triangle formed with the three heads that helps draw the eye to the centre of the page. The use of the headphones in the picture help relate the page to music.
Interview
after asking peoples opinions it was felt to be more appropriate to have a full interview rather than a simple 'Q and A'. Looking to my target audience I believed they would appreciate a full in detail interview rather than something that would feature in top of the pops magazine. The language used in the interview will attract the target audience and keep their interest.
Colour scheme
Again the entire colour scheme used gives synergy between all three pages, the same purple colour is used throughout and optical illusions help to link all the pages together. The choice of the colour purpleis appropriate as it is an artistic colour usually linked to royals and mystery, it is also the colour for imagination, extravagance and individuality ( this is what the artist included all have or want).
Distributors
Clearly distributors that work for the likes of V/Visionaire magazine, rolling stones magazine and smaller independent magazines like dedicate and pulp would distribute ProVocative magazine. These types of magazines have strong images and are not afraid to speak there mind and be slightly controversial, they are also not completely money driven. ProVocative magazine also wishes to be controversial as the name may hint. These distributors are not solely out for the money and seem more interested in the ethos of the magazines. Like V magazine, ProVocative is not afraid to be slightly different and neither are their distributors, this is why they would be interested in ProVocative's distribution.
Technology used
To create my magazine I have used Open Office. Throughout the creation of all my drafts and final piece I have tried to overcome certain difficulties as I feel open office isn't the easiest program to use, but can create good looking results. Whilst creating the magazine I have learnt how to use Open Office and how to place colour on to other pictures. Although I have also found that transferring the image form Open Office to Blogger the colours become darker, for some reason the transfer seems to darken colours and make the whole image slightly more difficult to read. Using my phone for the photos I have also learnt you need clear and bright photos to create professional looking magazines. Searching through the internet I have also learnt the best photo cut out tool is clippingmagic.com, this online software allows the user to easily cutout images and remove backgrounds and smooth the edges that are left behind. Overall I have learnt to create a magazine cover, contents and feature it takes many hours and lots of I.T skill. To get a professional looking magazine you need professionals to create it.
Distributors
Clearly distributors that work for the likes of V/Visionaire magazine, rolling stones magazine and smaller independent magazines like dedicate and pulp would distribute ProVocative magazine. These types of magazines have strong images and are not afraid to speak there mind and be slightly controversial, they are also not completely money driven. ProVocative magazine also wishes to be controversial as the name may hint. These distributors are not solely out for the money and seem more interested in the ethos of the magazines. Like V magazine, ProVocative is not afraid to be slightly different and neither are their distributors, this is why they would be interested in ProVocative's distribution.
Technology used
To create my magazine I have used Open Office. Throughout the creation of all my drafts and final piece I have tried to overcome certain difficulties as I feel open office isn't the easiest program to use, but can create good looking results. Whilst creating the magazine I have learnt how to use Open Office and how to place colour on to other pictures. Although I have also found that transferring the image form Open Office to Blogger the colours become darker, for some reason the transfer seems to darken colours and make the whole image slightly more difficult to read. Using my phone for the photos I have also learnt you need clear and bright photos to create professional looking magazines. Searching through the internet I have also learnt the best photo cut out tool is clippingmagic.com, this online software allows the user to easily cutout images and remove backgrounds and smooth the edges that are left behind. Overall I have learnt to create a magazine cover, contents and feature it takes many hours and lots of I.T skill. To get a professional looking magazine you need professionals to create it.
Looking back
looking back at my preliminary task I feel my style has evolved and has become more like a magazine. Using certain tricks like triangles, direct address and colour schemes I believe my music magazine could fit in with other national and international magazines. I believe my style has grown up and although it has become more outrageous it has also become more sophisticated. After looking back at my many drafts I can see their individual faults and my progression. I feel I have learnt that sometimes less is more and that to convey a particular type of magazine (music) you need key items and phrases (like a tape deck) to convey this message and help the audience understand what type of a magazine is being sold to them.

No comments:
Post a Comment